Monday was a drizzly day. I typically don't mind rain, but apparently I need sun during a quarantine. Anne woke up at 5 a.m. due to a bad dream and could not go back to sleep. Meg's fever went back up this morning, just as we thought she was getting better. And here we were, stuck in the house without even the option of going into the backyard.
With all these depressing elements, I decided to pull out a project from Great Ancient Egypt Projects, which I had been planning for awhile. We made Egyptian tunics from old white bed sheets.
I cut out a very basic tunic, with the neck hole cut on the fold. This meant we would only need to sew the tunic under the arms and down the sides. After very loosely measuring for each girl based on the first tunic, I repeated the process so Meg, Clare and Anne would each have a tunic.
We then tried to sew the tunics on my sewing machine. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the sewing machine to work. My last sewing machine project was sewing velcro onto skort waistbands and I'm afraid it may have been too much for the poor machine. That, or I just wasn't threading it correctly.
Clare, who loves sewing, enthusiastically suggested we hand sew the tunics. I was not as enthusiastic. The Great Ancient Egypt Projects book suggests you can use fabric glue. But Clare was so excited about the possibility of sewing, I agreed. We turned The Egypt Game on Audible and began to sew while listening. Even Meg joined us for a little while.